First of all, this post is long overdue. I wrote it sometime ago with the hope of posting it, but the timing never felt right until now. So here it is!
Not so long ago, I received a comment on an old post, and the commenter made a statement that blew me away and encouraged me greatly. With a vague memory of the exact details of the post, I wondered why the commenter said those words, so I decided to read the post again. In doing so, I had an idea why the commenter responded that way, but that wasn’t the take-home for me that day.
The post is about a year old, and in reading it, I realized how much I’d changed. It wasn’t so much the writing or the content, but it was the person I remembered myself to be at the time. Back then, I was so full of dreams, hopes, lacking in experience (compared to what I know today), and a lot of other fun and funny things. More importantly, I had faith the size of Mt. Everest (or even bigger!). Being unpublished at the time, all I saw was a smooth road ahead of me. What could possibly get in my way? Little did I know of the hardships ahead of me that would shake my faith and threaten to derail my dream of being a successfully published author.
Overtime, as I grew to be more “realistic”, it nearly robbed me of the ability to dream. I got caught up in all the rules that insist that success is ONLY through hard work. Faith in God soon took the secondary seat as I strove to work all the more, if I’d get it right. Little did I know that I was deviating from “who I was”, and, what I set out to do. But God who loves me more than I can ever imagine, decided to slow me down to remind me. I’d forgotten something important: faith is what teaches a heart to dream; and dreams are born out of who we are on the inside. They are planted in our hearts by God, and God, who designed us, prepares and equips us to accomplish those dreams. While logic and hard work are good, they should NEVER substitute faith. Without knowing, I’d started to put more belief in hard work than faith. In doing so, I was slowly losing myself.
God needed to remind me. So, a very hard time came my way.
I’ve never had things spiral out of control like they did. There were days I thought I couldn’t get through to the next. I’d cry, stop, and cry some more. I felt akin to Job and David of the Bible, and I’d petition heaven to understand what was going on. I’d wonder what I did wrong to encounter failure. But it was during this time that I was forced to ask a lot of questions that led me to remember once again what’s important, what isn’t, and more importantly, who I am, and what I set out to accomplish as a vessel in God’s hands. The experience, though tough, was remarkable. There’s nothing like a period when God breaks you for the sake of righteousness and His glory. It might be a painful experience, but it’s richly edifying!
Somewhere, in the midst of this trying time, asking all the questions, a notification popped in my phone—the comment—which I read, and here we are today with this post.
Now, I remember who I am, and why I started this blog. I’ve been called to inspire people with what I do, and with stories. It doesn’t matter if they’re stories from fiction books that I write, and with the reviews I write of other books, or with stories of real people through the interviews I post on my blog. I believe in inspiring people to be who they were created by God to be, and to fulfill the dreams that He’s put in their hearts. It’s the reason I named my blog To Be A Person. This is the core of what I do, and I’m so grateful I got to remember again.
What about you? Do you know who you are? Your mission—what you set out to do—has it changed?
I got tagged by blogger and friend, Ganise! She’s set the questions before me, ’20 Things You Might Not Know About Me’. I’ll have to admit, I struggled to answer these questions, as I can be an extremely private person … sometimes. Okay! A lot. Haha!
Here we go …
1. How tall are you? Not so sure. 5 feet 5 or 6, maybe.
2. Do you have a hidden talent? If so, what? I can reproduce any kind of drawing I see.
3. What’s your biggest blog-related pet peeve? I don’t like it when I visit a blog, leave a comment, and get no reply from the blogger. I think it’s rude.
4. What’s your biggest non-blog related pet peeve? Infusing politics (or some other lame topic) into a comment thread when there’s absolutely no reason to. So annoying!
5. What’s your favorite song? I don’t have one. I just have a collection of artists I love to listen to like Casting Crowns, Britt Nicole, Natalie Grant, News Boys, etc
6. What’s your favorite Etsy shop that isn’t yours? I’m not much into etsy shopping.
7. What’s your favorite way to spend your free time when you’re alone? Sit back, watch a movie, read a book, or listen to music.
8. What’s your favorite junk food? Cakes, rolls, and Burgers. Love those!
9. Do you have a pet or pets? If so, what kind and what are their names? Been thinking for too long now to get a dog. Haven’t gotten around it yet.
10. What are your number one favorite non-fiction and fiction books? There isn’t one in particular for each category. But here’s a mention for each: Non-fiction [apart from the Bible] – ‘A Purpose Driven Life’ by Rick Warren; Fiction – ‘Veil of Pearls’ by MaryLu Tyndall.
11. What’s your favorite beauty product? No favorites.
12. When were you last embarrassed? What happened? Hate to talk about it. Sorry.
13. If you could only drink one beverage (besides water) for the rest of your life, what would it be? I think I’ll stick with water.
14. What’s your favorite movie? Ah! I love movies too much to have a favorite.
15. What were you in high school: prom queen, nerd, cheerleader, jock, valedictorian, band geek, loner, artist, prep? Artist.
16. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Switzerland, Paris, or Monaco.
17. PC or Mac? PC. Never used Mac before, but seriously thinking about it.
18. Last romantic gesture from a crush, date, boy/girlfriend, spouse? A gift!
19. Favorite celebrity? Aside from Jesus? A couple of ’em.
20. What blogger do you secretly want be best friends with? Aw, I wish there was an answer to that, but there isn’t. Sorry!
**This blog post is a part of the ’20 Things You Might Not Know About Me’ Blog Tag started by April from Blacksburg Belle. She began this blog tag experiment to build community among creatives, help us bloggers to connect more and get to know each other better. This month’s topic is all about sharing just a little too much information about yourself. If you’d like to participate or want more info, check out the beginning post right here.**
There you have it! I hope you find the answers as interesting as the questions. Also, you can read Ganise’s post here.
1. Copy and paste the questions below and then answer and turn them into a blog post. Or, record a video answering these questions and upload it to your blog post.
2. At the bottom of your post, tag anywhere from 2-10 bloggers you want to see answer these questions. (I also suggest hitting up your tagged people via social media just to let them know you tagged them to do this tag challenge.)
3. Use the title: 20 Things You Might Not Know About Me Blog Tag. Once you’ve hit publish, leave a comment below with the link to your post.
4. Use the hashtag #20ThingsBlogTag when sharing on social media so we can all find your awesome posts!
Question 1: How tall are you?
Question 2: Do you have a hidden talent? If so, what?
Question 3: What’s your biggest blog-related pet peeve?
Question 4: What’s your biggest non-blog related pet peeve?
Question 5: What’s your favorite song?
Question 6: What’s your favorite Etsy shop that isn’t yours?
Question 7: What’s your favorite way to spend your free time when you’re alone?
Question 8: What’s your favorite junk food?
Question 9: Do you have a pet or pets? If so, what kind and what are their names?
Question 10: What are your number one favorite non-fiction and fiction books?
Question 11: What’s your favorite beauty product?
Question 12: When were you last embarrassed? What happened?
Question 13: If you could only drink one beverage (besides water) for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Question 14: What’s your favorite movie?
Question 15: What were you in high school: prom queen, nerd, cheerleader, jock, valedictorian, band geek, loner, artist, prep?
Question 16: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Question 17: PC or Mac?
Question 18: Last romantic gesture from a crush, date, boy/girlfriend, spouse?
Question 19: Favorite celebrity?
Question 20: What blogger do you secretly want be best friends with?
Find this post on facebook.